Monday, September 6, 2010

Weezer - Hurley


Artist: Weezer
Album: Hurley
Out: September 14th, 2010

So, did you watch LOST?

Were you as lost as the people on the island?

Well... I didn't watch LOST. Yeah, I know. I'm not human, blah blah blah, whatever. I also don't care for Harry Potter, whatcha gonna do about it?

Anyways, when I heard about Weezer's forthcoming album, Hurley, aptly named after the LOST series character, Hurley, I was a little lost myself. Weezer's last record was so... good. I mean, completely underrated, and had plenty of potential hits. It was completely mind-shocked that they would give up work on such a great album so quickly. I later read that front man Rivers Cuomos stated that the band was just on a roll over the past couple of years writing music and loving life. So, I gave in, and eagerly awaited the next album.

Sometime in mid-August we got the first single, Memories. I was very disappointed. After such a strong single from the last album with (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To, I just couldn't help but be disappointed. Memories, which also serves as the album's opening track, is at best an album filler track. Catchy to an extent, but lyrically lacking something. I understand the purpose of showing their respect and adoration for the show LOST, but this just wasn't gonna sell any records anytime soon. But Weezer has never truly been in the business of selling records. They are group of four guys just doing what they love. They don't write songs to intentionally top the Billboard charts, they just happen to. Nobody could have seen the out of the box success of Buddy Holly and Beverly Hills actually taking off.

So now we have the new album, and I'm very pleased to report that most of the tracks are right up to par with classic Weezer.

Over the past couple of months, Cuomos has gained quite a bit of street cred in his own right, but he doesn't let that effect the classic sound of a good ol' fashioned Weezer album. After trudging through the mediocre-but-still-kind-of-good Memories, the album moves onto the fun pop-alternative piece Ruling Me, which picks up the pace nicely. With a heavy explosion of rock instruments, its the classic nerd-wants-hott-girl type song. It had me bopping my hands and head along with it while I drove. There is an endearing sort of charm that Rivers possess more than your average rock-nerd, and it comes through on this song.

In today's day and age of actresses turned rehab spokesperson, and pop stars turned tabloid cover story, it was only a matter of time before someone wrote a song truly praising their existence. If you've ever wondered what it was like to be Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton or Britney Spears (in her hay-day), then Trainwercks is your song. Lets all be honest, deep down inside, there is a small sick part of us that wonders what it would be like. It's a heavy bass-anthem kind of song. I can only hope Lindsay listens to it, and feels a little better about herself.

Unspoken is a surprisingly good love song which goes from acoustic to hard rock in the matter of an instant. Not exactly memorable, but still a good listen. Where's My Sex is a dark and twisted, incestuous look at the art of sex. Its not exactly what you think though, because its rather good. And really, its not all about sex, but is about how he wants to get laid. Oh, you just have to listen to it!

Rnn Away is entirely skipable with its bland instrumentation, and no meaning lyrics. A far better tune is Hang On, which proves Weezer's ability to still hang with modern day punk-pop bands. A desperate plea to keep a dying relationship going.

In Smart Girls, the hilariously cute jam about how being a nerd usually gets a smarter girl, which really, at the end is the most attractive quality in someone. It takes a completely shallow (but good) beat and makes a completely not shallow song. It's definitely a must listen for this record.

Brave New World is about as heavy rock-n-roll as you'll get from Weezer on this record. A true LOST anthem, so lyrically, it just kind of went over my head. Though I'm sure most LOSTies will disagree and tell me its a tune for everyone. To you I say, go ahead and keep your song. Its nice. I guess.

The standard album sadly closes with a whimper with Time Flies, an extremely forgettable song about how quickly the journey ends. Sadly, the song couldn't end quickly enough.

I would personally recommend getting the deluxe version for a cute little diddy titled All My Friends are Insects and a great cover of Coldplay's Viva la Vida. But all in all, either way, you're getting a classic Weezer album.

Bottom line: A great Weezer album for all the Weezer fans.
Must hear song(s): Ruling Me and Smart Girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment