Sunday, September 5, 2010

Selena Gomez & The Scene - A Year Without Rain (Single)


Artist: Selena Gomez & The Scene
Song: A Year Without Rain
Album: A Year Without Rain
Out: September 28th, 2010

Awh, cute little Selena Gomez and her band The Scene have a new song.

Isn't that precious?

That's all I can think when I see this little tyke. She's just... too cute. Ladies and gentlemen, we have this generations Hilary Duff. Sweet, pure, wholesome, a good role-model and mediocre talent.

Now, now. I can't be too hard on this one, because she's just so... cute. Have I said that enough?

But admit it. You've caught yourself humming along to the insanely brilliant and amazingly catchy Naturally. There you are drivin' along, caught in mid-day traffic, and thumbs are bouncing on the steering wheel. Or, there you are, getting ready in your room, in nothing but your underwear, hair brush in hand, singing every word at the top of your lungs. Maybe that last one is just me, regardless, you can't deny how good that song was. So when I heard that Gomez and her boys were off to the studio to record a follow up to their first LP, immediately following the success of Naturally, I was hoping for a CD filled with similar dance-hall type stuff.

It was later announced in June, that the first single wold premiere soon, and it was produced and written by Kevin Rudolf and FeFe Dobson. The little tween in me began to applaud Ms. Gomez and her team for bringing on such amazing pop heavy-weights. I mean, these people know how to write songs, not really for themselves, but some people are just better behind the scenes. So when Round & Round premiered, I was a little disappointed. The bland production, mixed with the less then catchy chorus, I ended up somewhat writing off this next effort.

Several weeks later, and a few plays later, I liked Round & Round. It's not my go to jam, but I like it.

For the next single, Gomez and the boys would be releasing title track, A Year Without Rain. Needless to say, from my lack of excitement with the first single, I wasn't rushing to the computer to download when it finally hit the iTunes store last Tuesday. I read the production credits, and I wasn't mildly impressed. Toby Gad is phenomenal producer, when he wants to be. Boasting some of my favorite songs like; Fergie's Big Girls Don't Cry, Beyonce's If I Were A Boy, and Jordin Sparks' Vertigo. The man really shines with his mid tempo emotional ballads. But I wasn't sure I wanted to hear Selena's thin voice trilling through a similar song. I wanted more songs like Naturally, dammit!

In any case, I was pleasantly surprised. There is a steady club beat, mixed with a beautiful piano melody, something very Coldplay meets Naturally. This is a tween song about a love you just can't get enough of, and really, we can all relate. You know, when you get your new boyfriend or girlfriend, and you just completely ignore the rest of your friends. We've all been there, if we're not there already. There's even a thunder storm that makes its way into the song by the end. Now that's marketing!

Bottom line: I'm enjoying the new material, but I'll wait for the Dr. Luke and RockMafia productions to get truly excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment