Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Kings of Leon - Come Around Sundown


Artist: Kings of Leon
Album: Come Around Sundown
Out: October 19th, 2010 (Last week!)

I have an interesting relationship with Kings of Leon. I'm not really a fan, and had no idea who they were until Use Somebody and Sex on Fire came to be huge. I like the fact that they have a very interesting sound and a lead singer with a distinctive voice. What I don't like is, the same thing I don't like about MGMT, this "we're not mainstream, so we're gonna make sure we don't make a mainstream record next time." This is complete and utter bull shit! If you made a record that made you mainstream, then that means you were making "not mainstream" music while you were recording it. So "Come Around Sundown" is a very interesting listen, because I can hear the band holding back. Efforts like this and MGMT's "Congratulations!" are trying so hard not to be mainstream, that they end up trying too hard and fail at being decent listenable music. Luckily that last statement is only partly true for this record.

Sundown starts with a slow moving rock opus, similar to Sex on Fire, entitled The End. Now, this could be a hint to the fact that they are going to try and end their "mainstream popularity" by being "different." Regardless, its listenable. The chorus soars and actually has a catchy hook. It's not exactly rock out type music, but I never really thought Kings was anyway. First radio single, Radioactive, swings in to pick up the pace. It's the most "single" worthy of the cuts on the record, and I like that it was chosen as so. But I fear for the long term goals of this record. The single itself has a heartbeat unlike any of the other cuts. Its quick and fast paced and will keep you jogging in place.

Pryo is a predictable and boring album cut that was axed from my iPod before I could get a full listen. It went no where, it moved slowly, and its not catchy. In an effort to be "indie" they've stabbed themselves in the foot and made a boring song, which I assume will happen more often on this record. The song Mary is a nice surprise after the predictable tracks before it. It's a throw back jam that hints at late 50's music, with a 90's grunge flare. It's cute and lyrics are like a love song, thought Leon's lead vocalist doesn't quite have a love song voice. It's still a keeper.

The Face is what is being talked about as the next single. Now, I can see how this might fit in well on Rock centered stations, but it sounds like a direct rip off of Use Somebody, if not a direct relative of it. It's a slow moving rock anthem that picks up toward the end of the song. This won't do anything for anymore Top 40 radio play. PS - don't ever ask someone to give up New York City for Tennessee. That's just... unacceptable!

The Immortals is such a boring song, and it sounds so much like a typical Kings song, it doesn't even dignify a review. One listen and it was deleted, and I usually don't do that. I like to give each song a fair amount of listens before I decide to remove it. That being said Back Down South doesn't exactly do much for me either. It has a country flare to it, but just like so many of their songs it doesn't quite sound like its even begun. It's slow moving, but its not a ballad, a feat I will never understand. This does not give me the idea of good home Southern living, but then again I'm not from the South. So who knows.

Now Beach Side was a critic favorite in the reviews. So I was excited to listen to it. Sadly it did not live up to its reviews. It was actually, too short. It also didn't go anywhere. It seemed like more of a interlude than a song. And if that's what people are saying is the best song on the record, you can't expect the rest of the show is very good. No Money is a medium paced (which for this band generally means fast) song that I thought I'd probably be able to relate to, seeing as a poor as shit! Sadly its a muddled mess of sappy love lyrics and desire. I desired for it to be a better song.

Feeling a little worn down from all the depressing and disappointing material, I was happy to stumble across Pony Up. It's not ground breaking by any means, but its actually a bit of different material. It doesn't sound like a typical Kings of Leon song. It sounded like the evolution that should have occurred on this record. It has an undeniable pop influence, and maybe my pop music taste pallet is whats holding me back from truly diving into this record, but I liked this song a lot. The song Birthday is not one of those happy go lucky celebratory songs. It's not awful, but I didn't keep it on my iPod either. Mi Amigo doesn't have the Spanish flavor I wanted it to have, but it is as well, not as bad as the beginning of the record. (I'm trying to decide is Pony Up put me in a better mood or not). Still, Amigo was not kept.

The final song on the record, Pickup Truck, is not the Nickleback mud-slinging rock anthem I thought it might be. It does, however, posses some of the best vocals from Leon's lead singer I've ever heard. Very rock and roll and very gritty. I enjoyed the over direction of the song, but again, its not exactly for me. But I chose to keep it, because I think it'll grow on me.

Bottom line: You need to have the right kind of 'muscial taste' for a Kings of Leon record. This album was nothing ground breaking, but those who enjoy them will be very happy with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment